The different types of excavators & how to choose the best option
19th December, 2022
An excavator is an important piece of equipment on your construction site. When you want to lift heavy amounts of soil, you will need an excavator.
An excavator is a versatile earthmoving vehicle that comes equipped with an arm, bucket, movable tracks and rotating cab. These components boast excellent mobility and digging power, allowing you to carry out a wide range of functions from breaking holes to digging trenches efficiently.
Types of excavators
A wide range of excavators are available in the market and the one you choose will depend on your requirements, the conditions on your job site, the soil type and the amount of space.
- Crawler excavators – These are ideal for rough terrains. With tracks for wheels, these crawler excavators boast excellent stability and traction. These excavators are typically used for applications that other equipment can’t perform such as forestry and demolition.
- Wheeled excavators – These function like crawler excavators but they have wheels and not tracks. This makes them ideal for smoother surfaces like concrete and asphalt.
- Long-reach excavators – This type of excavator boasts a lengthier arm and boom, which makes it ideal for hard-to-reach locations. These excavators are ideal for demolition projects such as breaking down walls and structural crumbling over bodies of water.
- Mini excavators – This is a lighter, smaller excavator that can minimise ground damage and find its way through narrow, crowded sites such as indoor spaces or parking lots. These excavators offer minimum/zero tail-swing to maneuver tight turns or avoid contact with obstacles.
- Vacuum excavators – Also known as suction excavators, vacuum excavators use high-pressure vacuum to move material. These are ideal for delicate applications where it’s important to minimise the chance of damage.
- Skid steer excavators – These excavators have buckets and booms facing away from the driver, which allows the attachments to reach over the cab, making them ideal for use in narrow areas.
Many other types of excavators are available in the market including dragline excavators, backhoe excavators, hydraulic excavators and more.
How to choose the best excavator?
There are several aspects to consider when choosing the best excavator. Some of these important factors are:
- Size – Excavators are available in varied sizes from mini excavators that are ideal for narrow spaces to large excavators that are suitable for heavy-duty jobs. Consider the size of the job when choosing the size of your excavator.
- Features – Excavators offer a range of features to make the job easier and more efficient. Consider the features you need to single out the best excavator for your project.
- Budget – The best excavator for you is the one that fits your budget. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly excavator or a high-end model, you will find all types of excavators in the market.
- Attachments – You can make the most of your excavator by fitting it with an array of attachments. These include thumbs, buckets and breakers. Consider the applications you will use your excavator for when choosing the right attachments.
Excavators for hire and sale
Looking to buy or hire excavators? MTS Plant offers a wide range of construction plant machinery for hire and sale. Talk to our team today to discuss your requirements.